Mon, 18 May 2026
Headlines:
Seeking solution to Semporna licensing issues
Published on: Saturday, May 16, 2026
Published on: Sat, May 16, 2026
By: Azmie Lim
Text Size:
Text:
Seeking solution to Semporna licensing issues
According to Mohd Arifin, the government had received a list of the parties involved and discussions would continue from time to time to determine the most suitable approach.
SEMPORNA: The Sabah Ministry of Local Government and Housing is working together with the Sabah Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Environment to find a practical solution to licensing issues involving resorts and tourism operators in Semporna.

Its Minister, Datuk Dr Mohd Arifin Mohd Arif, said the licensing process involves several agencies, including local authorities, the ministry and tourism-related departments, making close cooperation essential in resolving the matter.

Advertisement
“This was among the issues discussed during the Jelajah Aspirasi Menteri 2026 programme, and we will work closely with the relevant ministry as it involves tourism, local authorities and other agencies,” he said after the programme on Thursday.

According to Mohd Arifin, the government had received a list of the parties involved and discussions would continue from time to time to determine the most suitable approach.

SPONSORED CONTENT
Cosmobeauté Malaysia and beautyexpo will expand into East Malaysia with the launch of the Cosmobeauté Malaysia Borneo Festival 2026 at the Sabah International Convention Centre (SICC) from May 25 to 26.
He said the State Government is prepared to assist resort operators committed to complying with regulations, including helping to ease the process of obtaining valid licences.

“We will assist where we can and will work towards finding the best solution,” he said.

Advertisement
However, Mohd Arifin stressed that several cases would still require enforcement action in accordance with the law.

Previously, State Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Jafry Ariffin reportedly said that seven out of 80 resorts operating in Semporna waters had been fined and ordered to temporarily cease operations after various offences were detected, including operating without valid permits.

Advertisement
He said an integrated operation involving the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, the police and the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency also resulted in several resort workers being detained for not possessing valid documents.

Jafry said the State Government viewed licensing compliance in Semporna’s tourism sector seriously and remained prepared to assist operators in obtaining the necessary approvals.

Meanwhile, Mohd Arifin said the ministry is expediting plans for a new landfill site in Semporna as part of ongoing efforts to improve waste management services in the district.

He said the existing disposal site is no longer capable of accommodating the increasing volume of waste generated by population growth and the expansion of the tourism sector.

“We have secured land for the new landfill site and the project will be implemented as soon as the necessary procedures are finalised,” he said.

According to Mohd Arifin, hygiene issues, particularly waste disposal on land and in surrounding waters, were among the key matters discussed with the Semporna District Council during the programme.

He said waste collection efforts at sea were being carried out through appointed concessionaires, but public participation remained crucial in maintaining cleanliness throughout the district.

Mohd Arifin called for wider community-based cleanliness campaigns and stronger public awareness of environmental responsibility.

He also said local authorities should continue improving public facilities, including providing larger rubbish bins to encourage more organised waste disposal practices.

In a separate development, he said the State Government is also addressing settlement issues involving squatter communities, including families affected by recent fires in several areas.

He said a new relocation site capable of accommodating nearly 500 lots had been identified and preparation works are currently ongoing.

“The relocation process will begin once land levelling works and the preparation of residential lots are completed,” he added.
* Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel and Telegram for breaking news alerts and key updates!

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.
Advertisement
Share this story
Advertisement
Advertisement
Follow Us  
           
Daily Express News  
© Copyright 2026 Sabah Publishing House Sdn. Bhd. (Co. No. 35782-P)
close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
open
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here