Sat, 23 May 2026
Headlines:
Safety concerns raised over dark road near Bandar Sierra
Published on: Friday, May 22, 2026
Published on: Fri, May 22, 2026
By: Samantha Sulit
Text Size:
Text:
Safety concerns raised over dark road near Bandar Sierra
A photo of the debris taken from the video.
Kota Kinabalu: Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Sabah and Sarawak) Datuk Mustapha Sakmud has raised safety concerns over poor lighting along a stretch of road near Bandar Sierra after several vehicles were reportedly damaged by an object believed to have fallen from a heavy vehicle.

The issue gained attention after a TikTok user uploaded a video on Wednesday night showing her vehicle rim damaged after hitting the object, while claiming that four other vehicles also suffered tyre damage at the same location.

Advertisement
In the video, the user showed what appeared to be debris from a heavy lorry or truck on the road, saying the area was too dark for motorists to clearly see the obstruction while driving.

Responding to the complaint in a video uploaded on Thursday, Mustapha, who is also Sepanggar Member of Parliament, contacted Public Works Department (JKR) officials and called for immediate measures to improve lighting in the area.

SPONSORED CONTENT
Cosmobeauté Malaysia and beautyexpo will expand into East Malaysia with the launch of the Cosmobeauté Malaysia Borneo Festival 2026 at the Sabah International Convention Centre (SICC) from May 25 to 26.
During the discussion, a JKR official said permanent street lights at the location had already been installed and that the matter was currently in the process of obtaining approval for electricity supply connection.

The official said efforts would be made to find an immediate electricity source to enable the lights to be switched on temporarily while awaiting full approval, adding that damaged lights would also be repaired.

Advertisement
Mustapha urged the authorities to expedite the process to reduce the risk of further accidents, particularly in critical dark stretches of the road.

The minister also said he was prepared to discuss the matter with the Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) Chief Executive Officer if necessary to help speed up the approval process.

Advertisement
He added that he planned to conduct a site visit after returning the following day and hoped the street lights would already be operational before then.

In a separate post, Mustapha expressed frustration over the delay in activating the street lights, saying requests had repeatedly been made for the lamps to be switched on.

“What if it were one of our own family members involved? This is a responsibility entrusted to them. Why wait until there is an accident before rushing to turn the lights on?” he said.
* Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel and Telegram for breaking news alerts and key updates!

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.
Advertisement
Share this story
Advertisement
Advertisement
Follow Us  
           
Daily Express News  
© Copyright 2026 Sabah Publishing House Sdn. Bhd. (Co. No. 35782-P)
close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
open
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here