Kota Kinabalu: Police have crippled what is believed to be the largest international drug syndicate operating in Sabah in the past decade, seizing more than three tonnes of narcotics with an estimated combined value of RM174 million under Op Coleoptera.
Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail said the integrated operation was conducted by Bukit Aman’s Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department (NCID) with the cooperation of the Sabah CID, Royal Malaysian Customs Department, Border Control and Protection Agency and the Malaysian Port Authority.
“This is believed to be the largest international drug syndicate busted in Sabah in the past decade,” he said during a press conference at the Sabah Police Contingent Headquarters, Friday.
The coordinated operation led to the seizure of six containers at Sepanggar Bay Port in Kota Kinabalu and Port Klang in Selangor, and the arrest of eight suspects aged between 23 and 45.
Police believe the syndicate had been using sea routes across the South China Sea as its main transportation channel, storing drugs inside containers at logistics premises before distribution to international markets.
“The syndicate is believed to have been active for several years. The first raid was carried out on Jan 20 at a house in Taman Landmark Phase 2, Penampang, resulting in the arrest of two local men. A search of a motorvan and the premises uncovered 548kg of compressed methamphetamine and 31kg of ecstasy pills,” he said.
On the same day, a second raid at a house in Taman Perdana Phase 1 led to the arrest of a local man and a foreign woman, with police seizing a further 1.6kg of methamphetamine.
Investigations later led to the detention of a local woman believed to be monitoring the syndicate’s operations.
On Jan 21, police raided a logistics premises at Port Klang, seizing 255kg of methamphetamine believed to have been destined for Sabah. Subsequent inspections at Sepanggar Bay Port uncovered 1,202kg of methamphetamine concealed inside three containers.
Another raid at a logistics premises in Inanam led to the seizure of 357kg of methamphetamine, 59kg of ecstasy pills, 51kg of ketamine, 4kg of suspected cocaine-laced vape liquid cartridges and 2.6kg of Erimin 5.
In a separate operation involving a container lorry in Kota Kinabalu, police seized a further 679kg of methamphetamine and 52kg of ketamine.
In total, police seized 3,043.5kg of methamphetamine, 102.5kg of ketamine, 90kg of ecstasy pills, 4kg of suspected cocaine vape liquid and 2.6kg of Erimin 5.
“If these illicit substances had penetrated the market, they could have destroyed the lives of approximately 16 million individuals,” Mohd Khalid said.
He described drug trafficking as a major threat to national security and social stability, stressing that PDRM would not compromise with any party involved in such activities.
Four suspects have been charged under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, which carries the death penalty or life imprisonment upon conviction.
One suspect was detained under the Dangerous Drugs (Special Preventive Measures) Act 1985, while two others were released on bond as prosecution witnesses.
Police also seized assets worth approximately RM1 million under the Dangerous Drugs (Forfeiture of Property) Act 1988, including several vehicles, two motorcycles, a Rolex watch, jewellery and RM504,850 in cash.
Mohd Khalid said the success of the operation was the result of continuous intelligence efforts and cooperation from the public.
“Drug crimes not only threaten public safety and wellbeing, but also tarnish the image and dignity of the nation,” he said.
He are urging members of the public to continue supporting police efforts to combat drug trafficking.