Mon, 1 Dec 2025
Headlines:
S’wak ready to face baby boom
Published on: Wednesday, April 08, 2020
Published on: Wed, Apr 08, 2020
By: Bernama
Text Size:
Text:
S’wak ready to face baby boom
Photo for illustration only.
KUCHING: Sarawak is prepared to face the anticipated baby boom early next year following the Movement Control Order (MCO), said Welfare, Community Wellbeing, Women, Family and Childhood Development Minister Datuk Seri Fatimah Abdullah.

“This is a government that cares. Whether there is going to be a baby boom or not, the state of Sarawak is big enough to accommodate the newborns and we welcome them,” she said here today.

Advertisement
National Population and Family Development Board (LPPKN) Health Unit head Dr Hamizah Mohd Hassan recently said the MCO could boost the country’s birth rate by early next year, as the majority of married couples have been confined in their homes together.

Dr Hamizah, who was interviewed on RTM TV programme recently, said her extrapolation was based on an unusual number of birth cases reported in Maine and New Hampshire in the United States in 1998, after the two states were in lockdown for a long period due to bad snowstorms.

SPONSORED CONTENT
By the latest actual performance for September 2025, the total anticipated contract value awarded to Sabahan companies hit RM1.7 billion.
Fatimah in concurring with Dr Hamizah’s opinion said, such birth rate occurrences are quite likely to happen, as couples would have the “time and opportunity” and would also encounter difficulties in getting contraceptives during the period.

On the other hand, she said couples would also need to consider issues such as future financial implication, child care and education.

Advertisement
According to Fatimah, the state government had been keeping a close watch on the number of babies born in Sarawak since last year, and had introduced a scheme where babies born from 2019 would get RM1,000 under the Endowment Fund Sarawak (EFS).  “This year the state government introduced the Bantuan Ibu Bersalin or assistance for mothers scheme amounting RM450,  to ease some of their burden, especially those who have no income during their confinement period,” she added. – Bernama
Advertisement
Share this story
Advertisement
Advertisement
Follow Us  
Follow us              
Daily Express TV  
© Copyright 2025 Sabah Publishing House Sdn. Bhd. (Co. No. 35782-P)
close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
open
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here