Duo drop dead on same day
Published on: Friday, March 31, 2017
Text Size:

Kota Kinabalu: Two men were pronounced dead not long after they fainted in two separate incidents at the Wisma Merdeka shopping complex, here, on Wednesday.The first involved a 54-year-old mechanic from Brunei who fainted while shopping with his wife at about 12.40pm.

Several hours later, a 39-year-old executive manager from Sarawak who worked at the premises also fainted while taking a break at a panel room after lunch at about 2.04pm.

Police identified the Brunei man as Alimarjafri Abdul Wahad who was here with his family on a three-day holiday and was scheduled to return to Brunei on Thursday (March 30).

City Police Chief ACP M. Chandra said initial investigations showed that the man was shopping with his 48-year-old wife when he suddenly showed signs of feeling unwell before fainting.

The incident which took place on the ground floor of the premises prompted patrons to rush in to help the couple.

An ambulance was called and the man was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead by medical officers despite efforts to revive him.

"Preliminary information gathered from the man's wife showed that the man had diabetes but investigations are continuing to identify the actual cause of death," he said.

Hours later, a 39-year-old Iban man from Bintulu identified as Peter Grang was also rushed to the hospital after he fainted while taking a break after lunch.

The man had just had his lunch at a restaurant on the sixth floor of the premises and had gone to the panel room for a short break. The panel room is also the resting spot for cleaners at the premises.

Chandra said preliminary findings showed that the man would always go there to rest after lunch.

Not too long after that, the man was seen beating his chest several times while holding his throat as his face turned red before he collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital and was pronounced dead by medical officers at about 4.04pm.

"Initial information gathered from the man's younger sibling was that he had always been asthmatic even as a child," he said. However, investigations are continuing to identify the cause of death.

Both incidents took place the same day a 40-year-old swim coach from Brunei drowned while swimming with his fiancé at a swimming pool of a condominium here. - Sherell Ann Jeffrey


Other News

Follow Us  

Follow us on            

Sabah Top Stories