Mon, 25 May 2026
Headlines:
Warisan urges rehab for street kids after crackdown
Published on: Saturday, May 23, 2026
Published on: Sat, May 23, 2026
By: Nikko Fabian
Text Size:
Text:
Warisan urges rehab for street kids after crackdown
Loi stressed the long-running issue poses severe risks to public safety, children’s welfare, and Sabah’s tourism reputation. 
Kota Kinabalu: Api-Api Assemblyman Loi Kok Liang welcomed the joint crackdown by City Hall (DBKK) and relevant agencies on beggars and street children in the city centre — but said enforcement alone will fail unless backed by strict, end-to-end rehabilitation.

In a statement, Loi stressed the long-running issue poses severe risks to public safety, children’s welfare, and Sabah’s tourism reputation. 

Advertisement
He recalled officially raising the matter in the Sabah Legislative Assembly on December last year, highlighting alarming scenes of young children, some carrying infants, weaving through heavy traffic at major intersections to beg.

“These children are exposed to life-threatening danger every day. At the same time, this hurts our city’s image and drives tourists away,” he said adding tourism isn’t just about bringing visitors here — it’s about making sure they feel safe, comfortable and protected while they are in Sabah.

SPONSORED CONTENT
Cosmobeauté Malaysia and beautyexpo will expand into East Malaysia with the launch of the Cosmobeauté Malaysia Borneo Festival 2026 at the Sabah International Convention Centre (SICC) from May 25 to 26.
While commending the recent operation covering areas like Jalan Durian, Loi emphasised it must be consistent and comprehensive, not just a one-off exercise. He warned against a mere “catch today, release tomorrow” cycle that solves nothing.

Advertisement
“Rescued individuals and children must receive everything promised like proper shelter, counselling, education, and full follow-up for the required three-month rehabilitation period,” he insisted.

“Without genuine commitment to rehabilitation, the problem will keep coming back, and all efforts will be wasted.”

Advertisement
Loi also pointed out that street begging is only one part of a bigger list of unresolved issues plaguing the city centre: dim street lighting, choked sewers and manholes, limited CCTV coverage, and lingering safety fears following past air-gun attacks on tourists.

He pledged to keep monitoring the situation and raise these matters continuously to authorities — urging concrete action to protect public well-being, safeguard Kota Kinabalu’s reputation, and secure the future of the state’s tourism industry.
* Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel and Telegram for breaking news alerts and key updates!

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.
Advertisement
Share this story
Advertisement
Advertisement
Follow Us  
           
Daily Express News  
© Copyright 2026 Sabah Publishing House Sdn. Bhd. (Co. No. 35782-P)
close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
open
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here