Home / Sabah Local News

Where to complain if you are unhappy with pay
Published on: Sunday, July 22, 2018

Tawau: Employees not receiving adequate benefits from their employers, including in the aspect of salary, are advised to lodge a complaint at the nearest Sabah Labour Department (JTK) office.

State JTK Director Kamal Pardi said this is to allow the department to conduct investigations and take appropriate action.

He said failure by employers to pay their employees on time is an offence under the Sabah Labour Ordinance.

"If they are covered under the ordinance, regardless whether they are contract or part-time employees, they can lodge their reports with the department," he said after conducting a Compliance Operation on 45 premises in the vicinity of Tawau town, here, Friday.

Led by Kamal and comprising 45 personnel, the "Ops Patuh Tawau" team visited private companies, including plantations, to ensure employers are following the rules and regulations.

The team visited 45 premises and issued 23 compliance notices, and at the same time recorded a total of 559 premises that the department has visited in a total of 141 operations carried out throughout Sabah.

Meanwhile, Kamal said 157 investigation papers have been opened for various offences under the Sabah Labour Ordinance and National Wages Consultative Council Act 2011 from January to June this year.

"The investigation papers are in the process of obtaining permission for charge and compounds," he said.

Kamal said between January and June this year, seven employers had been prosecuted in the Magistrate's Court and fined a total of RM18,600 for breaching provisions in the ordinance.

The department had also conducted statutory inspections on 3,345 employers in 141 operations in Sabah during the same period, he added. - Lagatah Toyos

Trending Stories

Follow us on