Syabu: S'wakian gets death
Published on: Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Kota Kinabalu: A mechanic from Sarawak was on Tuesday sentenced to death by the High Court for trafficking 4,396gm of syabu.Ho Yee Onn, 36, was found guilty of committing the offence together with Woo Kah Paul, 20, who is still at large, at 3.40pm on May 21, 2016 at the arrival hall of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) here.

Judge Datuk Nurchaya Hj Arshad in her decision held upon consideration of all evidence adduced, said the court found that the prosecution had successfully proven its case beyond reasonable doubt.

Ho was found guilty as charged under Section 39B(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

Ho appeared calm on hearing the court's decision.

In his defence on Jan 31, this year, Ho, who gave evidence under oath testified that he did not know that there was drugs in the box, which belonged to Woo, whom he get acquainted in Kuala Lumpur few months before he was arrested, while looking for car accessories there.

Ho testified that when the flight boarded by him and Woo landed at the KKIA, Woo called him, telling that he forgot to take his box and asked Ho's help to pick it up for him.

Ho said Woo also told him that the box contained dried meat.

He further testified that he took the box based on the description given by Woo and took it to the scanner machine.

When the contain of the box was revealed, Ho testified that he told the Customs officers that the box belonged to Woo, who was waiting for him outside the arrival hall and that he wanted to call Woo but his handphone was seized and he was then detained.

Customs Deputy Public Prosecutor Nazir Amir Johari appeared for the prosecution while Ho was represented by counsel Ram Singh.

Meanwhile, in the Magistrate's Court, 26-year-old shop assistant was fined RM2,500 or three months jail for having illegal lottery paraphernalia.

Michael Wong Cheng Jie admitted before Magistrate Cindy Mc Juce Balitus to committing the offence at a premises a Sinsuran complex here at 6pm on Dec 23, last year.

Inspector Albert Basiri, prosecuting told the court that Wong was arrested by police after the paraphernalia were found on him.

Wong had committed an offence under Section 9 (1) of the Common Gaming Houses Act. - Jo Ann Mool


Other News

Follow Us  

Follow us on            

Sabah Top Stories