Home / Sabah Local News
Mosti yet to honour RM390,000 pledge
Published on: Friday, January 19, 2018

Kota Kinabalu: The organisers of the successful Sindex project that unearths innovation among students through inventions is shocked at the decision of Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation (Mosti) not to honour its public pledge to provide RM390,000 funding towards the success of this year's programme.

Sindex 2017-2018 (Sabah Invention and Design Exhibition) organising Chairman George Ligunjang said they were targeting 1,000 entries from secondary schools this year but the apparent withdrawal of funding has left the committee in a dilemma.

The Minister, Datuk Seri Madius Wilfred Tangau, had earlier on announced during the launching of this year's Sindex that his Ministry would be donating a sum of RM390,000 towards the cause.

However, the amount is yet to be received by them but George is confident the Minister would keep his word when announcing it during the launching at SM St John Tuaran.

"The money goes towards logistics as roadshows to various schools in the State are necessary, accommodation for students participating, transportation, their food and all charges incurred while we discharge our duties," said George.


He said in 2014, there were 845 entries from 44 schools in Sabah. The closing date for submission is January 31, 2018. The final presentation would be on April 15, this year.

Sindex is an initiative coordinated by all the Rotary Clubs in Sabah and Labuan encouraging youngsters to be innovative and creative. It is held every two years. Students who are able to create or innovate something interesting and worthwhile would be awarded with attractive prizes accordingly.

Daily Express together with Rotary have been the programme's pioneers. The paper had all along been involved in promoting the activities.

"We need media partner to work with us to help promote our activities otherwise we are not able to put our message across. This is for our younger generations and in preparation for their fourth industrial revolution.


Phillip Chong, the past district governor, who was in the original committee said the next Sindex hoped to see participation from colleges and university students. Currently the project is only participated by secondary schools.

"We will open it for higher learning institutes like colleges and universities to allow more participation from the young people," he said.

For further enquiries, please email to sindex2017@gmail.com. - Lorena Binisol


News Categories

Features
Most Read




Follow us on            

Advertisement