Home / Sabah Local News
'Glue-sniffing teen' falls to his death
Published on: Sunday, August 20, 2017

Kota Kinabalu: A glue sniffing session claimed the life of a teenager while his friend was injured after they fell from the eighth floor of a block in Api-Api Centre, Friday.

The local duo, aged 15 and 16, were discovered by the building's security guard ­who heard what sounded like a heavy object falling on the second floor of the premises at about 9.50pm.

This prompted the guard and his colleague to inspect the premises only to find the boys, one motionless while the other lying on the lobby area on the second floor. Medical officers pronounced the younger of the duo dead with injuries to his head, while the other was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2 for further observation.

Police identified the deceased to be a Sungai/Jawa addressed at Kg Penampang Baru, Penampang.

His remains were sent for post mortem.

City Police Chief ACP M. Chandra on Saturday said initial inspection on eighth floor of the premises led police to believe that the two friends were engaged in glue sniffing activities based on the can of glue and a plastic bag containing the substance. Also found were a pair of flip-flops.

Early investigations found no elements of foul play involved. The case has been classified as sudden death.

He reminded parents to keep watch over their children's movements like who they are with so as not to engage in unhealthy activities such as glue sniffing and other vices.

This was not the first time teenagers were caught sniffing glue on the rooftop of premises.

Last year, three boys and two girls, aged between nine and 17, were caught on camera sniffing glue from the rooftop of a premises in Kg. Air.

Their antics, circulated over social media, raised concern among residents. - Sherell Jeffrey

News Categories

Features
Forum(17)
Most Read

Advertisement