Home / Sabah Local News
Call to take DoJ lawsuits seriously
Published on: Sunday, June 18, 2017

Kota Kinabalu: The Malaysian Parliament has been urged to take the latest civil lawsuits by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) against 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) seriously as it affected the country's reputation.

As such, the Sabah Pakatan Harapan (PH) Youth Secretariat called for an emergency Parliament session to discuss further actions to be taken on the matter.

Its Secretary Mohammad Razeef Rakimin said the authorities like the Royal Malaysian Police and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) should conduct an investigation.

"Following the latest civil lawsuit by the DoJ on 1MDB, Sabah Pakatan Harapan Youth Secretariat urges immediate action to be taken on those involved in the scandal.

"It is shocking that it was exposed in the lawsuit that RM17 billion was misappropriated where this claim has tarnished the country's good name as it was linked to a high ranking officer and other influential individuals," he said in a joint statement by all three factions of PH – PKR, DAP and Parti Amanah Negara, at the Borneo Activity Centre (Borac), here, Saturday.

"Jho Low was accused of buying 27 gold necklaces and bracelets worth US$1.3 million (RM5.6 million).

"Low and his associate Eric Tan were also alleged to have spent US$200 million (RM855 million) on jewellery and some of them were given to Australian model, Miranda Kerr, and Low's mother.

"Low was also accused of buying a property worth more than US$1 billion (RM4.3 billion), a luxury yacht, a painting which was presented to actor Leonardo DiCaprio and many more."

According to him, the latest development also witnessed the exposure of new characters.

"We hope for an immediate response from the Prime Minister…the response given by Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali was disappointing as he said that no crime was committed in the management of 1MDB as claimed by the DoJ.

"If this is true, then Putrajaya and Wisma Putra should call the US Embassy to provide a clarification.

"It is impossible for the claims by the DoJ to be false as several countries had initiated investigations based on the exposure made by the DoJ previously where several individuals had been charged and convicted," he said.

On Friday, it was reported that the Attorney-General's Chambers was frustrated over not being informed by the DoJ of their latest civil lawsuits.

The AGC reaffirmed that there is no evidence of misappropriation of 1MDB funds, nor has there been any criminal charges against any individual over the matter.

Apandi said there is currently an ongoing investigation being conducted by the police concerning 1MDB and to date, the AGC has yet to receive any request from DoJ to obtain any information or evidence regarding the case. - Ricardo Unto

News Categories

Features
Forum(15)
Most Read

Advertisement