Home / Sabah Local News

Alert for Filipino terror groups
Published on: Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Kota Kinabalu: The ongoing military operation by the Philippines against known terror groups in the country's southern territories may see some of the criminals trying to escape to Sabah.

State Police Commissioner Datuk Ramli Din said it is undeniable that these individuals might consider crossing the border to seek refuge in the State.

"We are taking all precautions and our personnel at the border are more cautious.

We are streamlining our operations in border districts to prevent these people sneaking into the State," he said.

He did not say whether there were already instances of these people caught trying to enter the State but that the operation is ongoing and the increasingly urgent situation means police will increase their operations.


"Now we are working to prevent that from happening," he said. The military operation in the Philippines, he said had quite a positive impact on Sabah because terror groups are feeling the pressure.

Ramli said the two hostages who were rescued five days ago are already home in Sandakan while the other three rescued by the Philippines military will be handled by the Bukit Aman police headquarters.

"The trio will be sent to Kuala Lumpur first to have their documentations sorted out. And just like before, their families will be flown there to see them before they are all brought back to Sabah," he said.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman welcomed the news that all five Malaysians kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf last July have been rescued.


"We are relieved that they have been rescued. This has been a difficult time and glad to see that the two rescued earlier have been reunited with their families," he said in a statement, Tuesday.

Musa thanked Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, the Malaysian security forces, the Philippines military and Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) for coordinating their rescue.

"The relevant authorities are working closely with their Philippines counterparts in securing safe passage home for the remaining three," he said.

Musa was commenting on five Malaysian seamen including from Sabah namely Tayudin Anjut, 45, the skipper Abdul Rahim Summas, 63, Mohd Jumadil Rahim, 23, Mohd Ridzuan Ismail, 32, and Fandy Bakran, 26, whom were rescued by the Philippine security firces in the south of the Philippines last Thursday.


The paper reported on Tuesday that they were crewmen of the Serudong 3 tugboat which was heading to Semporna from Sandakan when the kidnapping took place eight months ago, last year.

They were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf gunmen in the waters of Dent Haven, Off Lahad Datu on July 18, last year.

Musa also urged the relevant authorities under Esscom to remain vigilant at all times to keep our borders secure from any intrusion. - Tracy Patrick

Trending Stories



Follow us on            

Advertisement